The Medicaid division is responsible for determining eligibility for all Medical Assistance Programs to help individuals pay for their medical care or to help pay for insurance premiums. You may be eligible for medical assistance if you meet income, resource, age, disability, and other requirements. Community and Chronic Care/Supplemental Security Income (SSI)/Aged/Foster Care. 

                                                           ***Important Information**
The Covid 19 continuous coverage of Medicaid is ending March 31st, 2023. Please ensure you are reading all correspondence that you may receive from New York State or from Schuyler County Department of Social Services to ensure your coverage is not impacted.  All active cases will no longer be extended. Renewals will start April 1st, 2023.

The following links will provide information for Medicaid, CHPlus and EP enrollees about the changes that are coming and how you can prepare.

If your Medicaid is through your Local Department of Social services: 

Keep Your Health, Keep Your Coverage (60s) - YouTube

How To Renew Your Health Insurance Through Your Local Department of Social Services - YouTube

If your Medicaid is through the Health Care Exchange: 

Important Changes to New York Medicaid, Child Health Plus and the Essential Plan | NY State of Health 

How To Renew Your Health Insurance With Michelle - YouTube

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS about Medicaid insurance for New Yorkers who are enrolled through their Local Departments of Social Services (LDSS) or the New York City Human Resources Administration (HRA)


If you are an applicant over the age of 65 and/or disabled at any age in receipt of Medicare, or in need of Nursing home assistance, you may apply at the local LDSS. Please submit both the DOH Application and the Supplement A form.

Clients may drop off all paperwork to the Schuyler County Social Services office or utilize the Drop Box located in front of the Human Service Complex, or mail to DSS-Medicaid Unit, 323 Owego St, Montour Falls, NY 14865.

Monthly spend downs can be mailed or delivered to the Social Services office. 

If copies are needed, the receptionists or your worker can help you. If you submit originals, staff will make a copy and mail the originals back to you.  

NYSOH Applications

If you are between the ages of 19 and 64 you may apply for health insurance through New York's official Marketplace for Health Insurance. The NYS portal ( ) is always available. You can also contact them by phone at 855-355-5777. If you need assistance you can contact In-Person Assistors/Navigators by calling the following numbers:

  • AIM Independent Living Center, Adrienne Minichello - Insurance Navigator at 607-271-0403
  • Finger Lakes Community Health, Autumn White at 1-800-346-2211 
  • Maximus, Christa Ryan at (607)535-8359 

Need Help Finding a Provider that accepts your insurance or need to get connected to a dentist, doctor, or other specialists? 

  • Contact Rhonda Jackson at (315)399-6357 at Finger Lakes Community Health.

 If you have additional questions, please call the Department of Social Services at (607)535-8303.